New Huawei phones can't use Android, report says

Huawei will reportedly launch its new flagship phone, the 5G-capable Mate 30 Pro, next month despite it being unlikely that Android and Google apps can be used on the device. The temporary reprieve on Huawei's US ban to award licenses doesn't apply to new Huawei products, a Google spokesperson reportedly told Reuters Wednesday.

Huawei was blacklisted in the US in May in light of national security concerns that Huawei had close ties with the Chinese government. Huawei has repeatedly denied that charge.

But US companies will be able to sell equipment to Huawei, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross confirmed in July, if they get licenses when there's no threat to national security. The reprieve has reportedly seen more than 130 applications for licenses to sell US products to Huawei.

The phones will be announced on Sep. 18, Reuters said.

Last week, Huawei Senior Vice President Vincent Pang said the company has no plans to launch a phone with its Harmony operating system this year, because it wants to stick to Android for now.

Google, Huawei and the Department of Commerce didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.